Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Comfort Zone

The other day a friend mentioned something to me that I had not thought of before.

I am in my mission field.

Let me explain.



I get that we are all missionaries and that we each daily have a sphere of influence around us who we can proclaim Christ to. That we all interact with dozens of people who we can reach for God and that we don't have to go overseas to be a missionary. I mean, I get that. Marlon is a local missionary. His mission field is male youth between the ages of 13-20. This is done through mentoring, bible studies, being a chaplain at Norris Adolescent center, and a new ministry venture The Malango Project that God helped him create that will start this fall. His passion for racial reconciliation has even led him to put together an AAU basketball team that is just about a 50/50 split of urban and suburban kids. It's exciting to watch. So I get that you don't have to be in a 3rd world country to have impact.


I am out of my comfort zone.


Many times I feel like a fish out of water because there are few who see what I see or at least from my point of view. Yet other times I feel strong confirmation from God that I am right where He wants me. It's like, sista quit ur cryin and get to work!! I've even prayed if it's time for me to move back to the city...back to a place where I'd be more comfortable. Someone even told me recently that I probably don't belong at Elmbrook because of the way I think and if that's how I feel.That statement has really had me thinking.

This is how I've been feeling...and what I've been marinating on....

I love teaching. I love speaking out God's truth and how He has influenced my life. I'm blessed with opportunities to do that.

I love pushing the envelope. This is not to be confused with pushing buttons. That is not Godly AT ALL to me. But questioning the status quo..well, even Jesus himself did that. I'm blessed (ok, sometimes stressed) but still blessed nonetheless with opportunities to do that.

I love worshipping through music. It's how I best connect with God and I love helping people experience God in a different way. I'm blessed with opportunities to do that.

I love building relationships with young people. From children to 20 somethings. Seeing the shiny face of a 5 year old delighted in learning about God to comforting a hurting young woman who is trying to figure out how to get her life on track. I'm blessed with opportunities to do that.

Africa...comfort zone. Philippines...comfort zone. Mexico....comfort zone. James Place...comfort zone. Inner city...comfort zone. Suburbia...not comfort zone.

BUT...

Would I have learned to rely so fully on Him if I was submerged in a culture where I was totally comfortable? Would I have discovered that the only way I can be a Godly leader is by dying to Him daily in order to lead? Would I fully believe that I can do nothing in my own strength and that no idea is a good idea until His blessing is upon it, like I do now? Would I have learned that part of what makes a great team is people who are like-minded in their devotion to Christ and respect for one another...not necessarily always thinking alike?

I am out of my comfort zone.

And in that...I am fully relying on God in a way I never have before. I see His goodness and grace and feel the Holy Spirit in me in a way I never have before. Abundant blessing. He continues to amaze and humble me by the way that He loves me.

To God be the Glory!

1 comment:

DB said...

We just finished a study called Share Jesus without fear. Your post opened my eyes to the fact we can and should be "on a mission" even if when we're in our comfort zone. There's always an opportunity to show or tell someone about Jesus.