Sunday, September 7, 2008

Joy...

We get caught up in ruts. We stress out over things that 1) aren't important or 2) we have no control over. We miss sweet blessings and peace because we don't allow JOY in our hearts.

For the most part I am a joyful person and I know that I do these things. So I believe that the folks out there who aren't joyful...the negative people who see the cup as half empty have to also these things.

But how can we just switch our minds....our actions....our hearts....to experience and enjoy...well, JOY?

I know for me, for me...

I sometimes have to make the conscientious decision to accept and experience it. Know that I am aware, as someone who has suffered from clinical depression...that there are times it is beyond our scope of comprehension and control to "choose" joy. I am not talking about people who are in a deep, dark place that they aren't able to bring themselves out of. I would never begin to suggest that someone should just "get over it" and smile. I have walked those lonely tunnels of the mind where nothing you do seems to help.

But a majority of the time...I think we do have the choice, the ability to decide to accept Joy. We make the mistake of equating joy with happiness. Joy is more than that. It's a deep contentment, a strong satisfaction, estatic pleasure...

"...though sorrow may last for the night, JOY comes in the morning...."
"...I bring you tidings of great JOY which will be to all people...."
"...these things I have spoken unto you so that my JOY may remain in you, and that your JOY is complete..."
"....ask and you will recieve, that your joy may be full..."

It's promised to us. Joy. Jesus makes our JOY complete.

If you are a Christian...live out your JOY. Experience your JOY, spread your JOY, embrace your JOY. This doesn't mean put on rose colored glasses and turn a blind eye to hurting people, to pain and suffering, to heartache. But as you enter into conversations with hurting people...don't hide your JOY either. As you walk through storms of pain and suffering...don't allow others to steal your JOY. When you counsel and witness to those with aching hearts...don't pretend that you don't have the JOY of the Lord as your strength. You do. He's told us. If we believe that He is who He is and that the Word is the living, breathing Word of God...then we must find our JOY and let it explode from in us.

Don't be afraid. You won't believe how good you're going to feel. It's not my promise. It's HIS!!



Now we might not all have the freedom to show our joy as my son Elijah....but oh, to be so free to just jump up and dance because we have that much joy in our hearts....




Whether you shimmy and shake like Elijah here....or just allow the sweet Joy of Jesus temper your thoughts, actions and heart....I challenge you to allow JOY to dictate your day. You might be suprised at the joy it will bring you!!

1 comment:

Luanne said...

Mindy,
Elijah is making me joyful just looking at him being joyful. I love the next to the last picture. I think thats my grandsons favorite pose for pics.

Learning that I could be full of joy even if I wasn't happy with my circumstances was hard to learn. But what a treat when I finally got it thru my thick head.

Luanne