Thursday, February 16, 2006

Winter



Oh yes, winter is here! For those of us who were basking in the mild
weather we've been having, reality call---uh, we live in Wisconsin!!
It was so dead at work today, between the Annual Congregational Meeting
and then the weather today, not many people came in. I actually got a
lot done though.

Elijah came home sick yesterday :( Thank you for everyone who prayed
because by the end of the day he was back to his silly, happy self and
even came to the meeting.

The meeting--oh my goodness, it was so wonderful! The spirit of
everyone was so inviting, kind, friendly. Different than I have
experienced before. Not that Elmbrook isn't a friendly place, I do
love it. But as free and wild as I can be...it is occasionally stuffy
to me. It was totally not that last night. The pastors did a dance
to Celebration by Kool & the Gang--what a hoot! There was a balloon
drop, chocolate fountain, chicken kiev for dinner. I really think that
the congregation felt taken care of and cared for. It was nice also
to see pastors with support staff and volunteers--all just working together
to get tasks done. As a special treat there were bagels and fruit for us
this morning.

This weekend won't be too busy for us. Friday Marlon and the boys have
basketball practise, Saturday we have the games and then we're heading
into Milwaukee for Marlon's cousin's bridal shower. Then on Sunday is
church and Marlon has a prison in the evening. Sometime in there I have
to clean my house too...lol. I can tell that I've been sick and then very busy the last two weeks--aside of dishes and laundry, not much else has
been done.

Anyway--I've really had the fruits of the Spirit on my mind lately. I
am not sure why (although they are great to read about and keep close) I
guess I am going to post some scripture here because for whatever reason
I feel like I'm supposed to. Hopefully, this will speak to who it is
supposed to.

Galatians 5:16-25
"So I say, live by the Spirit, andyou will not gratify the desires of the
sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit
and the Spirit is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with
each other, so tha tyou do not do what you want. But if you are led by the
Spirit, you are not under law. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious,
sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery, idolatry and witchcraft, hatred,
discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and
envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that
those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit
of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who
belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions &
desires. Since we live by the Spririt, let us keep in step with
the Spirit."

I love those verses. They convict me. I am so guilty of those things. Some
in the past, some that I still struggle with today. I give them up to God
so that I can come before Him clean...as clean as I can get in my humanness
at least. I confess that I still am jealous at times, have angry outbursts,
make selfish choices, hate instead of love...I must daily replace my sinful
desires with those of the Spirit---love, joy, peace...because I am a child
of Christ my sinful nature has been crucified and does not need to hinder me
anymore!!! Praise God!! May I continue to develop and grow these fruits so
that I may be a blessing to others.

Lord, I pray that you bring everyone who reads this tonight open eyes--open to
what they read and open to see what they might bring to the table. What fruits
of the Spirit do they need to develop? Where are they gifted and need to step
up to the plate? Help them see how a relationship with You is the start of all
good things in their life. The darkest day with You is still 10 million times
better than the best day without You. Amen.

No comments: