Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Weary? Get in line behind me...

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
--Matthew 11:28-30

Ever since I first read this passage of scripture, I've been intrigued by it. Perhaps because I've never been one who could find rest easily, perhaps because I always had a hard time thinking of burdens as being light...whatever the reason. Today I was really feeling the pressure of all of the demands on my time at work. I've always tried to remind myself that I am only one person and I can only do so much in one day. With a lot of deadlines looming very close---that just doesn't seem realistic for the next week or two. Teacher training, strategic hits, kick off of Sunday school, Tuesday Nite Live, internet registration, Teen MOPS kick off...all of this amidst a computer system that hasn't been working properly the last two days and other people who depend on me to have things done for them for these different events. So today after an exasperating voicemail message---I leaned back in my chair, sighed heavily and said, "Ok Lord, the rapture...anytime...I'm ready!" A few people around me laughed and we joked a little bit about it, but it got me thinking back to this passage.

I have not been taking these burdens, these deadlines to Him. I have not been seeking Him first. This passage is clear. It doesn't say...a select few of you, it says..Come to me ALL who are weak. Um, yeah, that includes me. It doesn't say...if your burdens are worthy, if I'm feeling extra kind...it says, I WILL GIVE YOU REST. Period. I have to seek Him. I have to come. So often I get caught up in the whirlwind that is my life and try to focus on the next task at hand and in doing so, leave out the most important part---Him. Bible study--right with Him. Prayer--He's my right hand man. Important decisions--white on rice. But day to day things, my job tasks...I wayyyyyyy too often rely on my own strength. And my strength is lacking. I am tapped out.

I actually had planned to do a ton of work from home tonight, but due to the connection problems I'm not able to log on. Hmmmm....rest? Certainly can't deny that tonight. Thanks God for simple blessings!

Take His yoke upon me. And learn. And when I do those things, He tells me that I will find rest for my soul. THAT sounds good.

1 comment:

Josie said...

Hey, girl! Good reminder - thanks. I need to do that, too. I AM weary, and like you, when it's spiritual stuff I go to the source, but so often for the everyday, it's not natural to remember to give THAT to the Lord, too. Even if everyday stuff is ministry...Matt 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Keep shining with HIS light - you are such a light for Him - the one thing I remember about you, dear Mindy, is your shining countenance - in church, passing you in the hallway, the JOY of the LORD is your strength. May it be that for me too.