Monday, March 13, 2006

Dinner

On Saturday we had dinner with our friends Jackie and Justin. It was a fun time. It has been a longggggggggggggg time since we've done dinner with anyone other than each other and family. It was nice to be in that "getting to know you" stage where there is so much to talk about and learn about each other. Jackie and I work together at Elmbrook and became fast friends. We have a lot of past hurts that are the same.
Justin and Marlon have a lot of the same interests--music, sports, family--so they
hit it off pretty good too.
It's funny because as we were all investing in creating a new friendship, the
sermon this weekend was on having friends...and biblically what that means. As an
adult, I must admit that I don't spend much time on developing or maintaining
friendships. I do have friends, but some I think they are more aquaintances. There is nobody to blame but me for that. It is hard to find time. Whether that's right or wrong...it is just so. I think friends are different.
Some friends are convenience. They might be co-workers, or in a class with
you. This can develop into true life long friendships, but often exist only as long
as the circumstance which put you together. I think of people from Employment Solutions--Andrew, Christine, Kenya--we had a ton of fun at the time, but nothing substantial enough to keep in touch.
Some friends are a season. I think of some of my friends before I was a Christian as this. In my worldly days---hitting the clubs, drinking and partying---we wouldn't have much to say to each other now.
Some friends are comfort. These might be those long ago friends who are still
important today because of what you've been through together and what you've seen
each other through. Although you might not spend a lot of time together now-there
will always be that bond. I think of some of my friends as this--Alisa, Katie, Kasie, Jeri, Jenni---it is always good to see them, spend time together, I'm always praying for them, hoping their life is blessed even if we don't talk often.
Some friends are there to challenge you and help you grow. I think of Jackie, Roberta, Sue...they will keep me accountable and help me look at myself honestly. I need friends who I can be myself with and they won't hold my past against me--mostly because they don't really have a past with me yet.
Some friends are family. It's not just because you're related that you enjoy spending time together. My mom and sister, some of my cousins are truly my friends,
not just family.

I think having these realizations about friendship were hard for me to swallow at
first. I have always had a lot of people around me and just referred to them all
as friends. They are on some level, but EVERYBODY can't be your closest friend.
There are certain times where someone is just there for a season and that's okay.
There are certain times where someone is only surface close to you & that's okay.
Wow--look what dinner and a sermon can produce!! :)

No comments: