Saturday, March 18, 2006

Happy Anniversary!!

Today is my parent's 34th wedding anniversary!! So amazing especially since they are only 52 and 56! They've been married much longer than 1/2 of their lives. I am proud of the fact (and not in a bad way) that they have weathered many storms together and stood the test of time. We all went to dinner together which was very fun.
First we had a full day of sports. In the morning was the Upward Basketball celebration and then Isaiah had his first indoor soccer game. He scored a goal!! I know he was very nervous, but he played okay and it seemed to really boost his confidence that he was able to keep up with these "tougher" players. Outdoor starts April 8th already, so I know that he'll be more than ready for that.
In between all of that, I got some shopping and laundry done. Now tomorrow Marlon and I go to Taycheedah from about 11:30 until 5pm. I love going to Taycheedah. Even when I am tired or just wish I could stay home with the kiddies...once I am there, God just always blesses the day. The women there are such a varied bunch. Because we minister to the max unit, we really aren't allowed to chat with them, shake hands, have one on one conversations...as part of worship. Even still, after 4 years now of going there and seeing so many of the same faces...you have this sense of knowing them. Also, the chaplain does occasionally allow one to come and ask us a question if the guards say it's okay. There are some ladies who are part of the chaplains worship crew. They set up the gym, get Marlon and I water, run the CD player and mikes for us. We do have time to talk with them. And we often are able to pray with them and get to know them better. There are times we go when I wish I could just go back to their cells with them and talk all day.
Inmates really get forgotten. So much of society feels like because they've broken the law they deserve to be forgotten. Shame on those who feel that way. Ever driven drunk? Ever taken something that wasn't yours? Ever vandalized something? Ever wrote a check when you knew you didn't have the money to cover it? Ever lost your temper so bad you destroyed something? Ever got into a shoving match with someone? Maybe you just didn't get caught. Maybe God has a different plan for you. But don't think that just because they might deserve to be in prison, they don't deserve to still have someone praying for them, caring for their souls, attending to their spiritual needs.
Anyway--
A final Happy Anniversary to my parents!! I love them so :)

No comments: