Thursday, August 21, 2008

Other Memorable things...

Jessie Sunshine (as I like to call her) My roomie for the week. I've known Jessie since she was just a middle schooler...well, really more knew her parents...but through camps these last two summers I've really gotten to know her more. She is an amazing person through and through. We stayed up wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too late, talking wayyyyyyyyyyyy too long and laughing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much! I will forever love her and hold dear the time we were able to share together at the last Kids Kamp!



Snakes anyone? Yes I conquered my fear of snakes during Kids Kamp. Here's how it came about. Mattie had held a snake in the morning and was so proud of herself. I was on my way to the animal building to check on another one of the campers and ran into Mattie. She asked if I was going to hold a snake while I was there. I told her that I didn't really think so because to be honest I was afraid of snakes. She looked at me and said, "Well, you know what I did? I was afraid too, but I prayed and asked God to give me strength and He did! And it wasn't scary! You should try that...why don't you pray and then God will give you the strength?" How in the heck do you say no to THAT! So I took a deep breath and gave it a shot and you know what? I LOVED it. They are so soft and really quite personable.


There is nothing quite like seeing almost 300 kids listen attentively (okay sometimes not so attentively...lol) to creative, fun, biblical teaching. I couldn't resist taking a lot of pictures of them in their bibles, listening, praying...


Mission Night. This game was a riot! The kids are missionaries and have to take bibles (toothpicks) to the churches (identified areas around camp) while being chased and tormented by the military, government, spies, etc. of different countries that don't want the gospel spread. The adult/teen staff get to be the military, government and spies. When we "catch" one of the missionaries we ask them questions about their bibles and God and Jesus. It's so awesome to get a kid who can clearly and confidently share the gospel message with you and it's a privilige to talk with the kids who perhaps don't know Jesus and guide them into conversation about who He is.


Spa Night. Ponderosa chose a spa night as our village special. We all brought our pampering creams, gels, polishes, etc. and had a night of beautifying our girls. I loved every minute of it and they all felt so special and pretty.

No comments: