Monday, December 17, 2007

Just around the corner..

Wow another week has passed and here I sit. I must say that leaving things until the last minute really helps you simplify things...lol! Since we just got the tree on Saturday and let it fall last night---we'll decorate it tonight and forego both lights and the popcorn/cranberry strings. :) With everything happening with my Grandma (2nd MRI is tomorrow to check out the "thing" they now see on her spine), my aunt may now be having surgery and is probably going to be in the hospital over Christmas, a slideshow video gift I'm making my family, other odd and end "issues" (nothing major) I've found that the joy I normally have is still there---it's just different. I need no hoopla for Christmas anymore. It's a strange realization to come to...because so much of my love of Christmas has always been mostly the "hoopla"...but I can see a definate change in my heart this year. It's a good thing.

Friday I spoke at Cross Trainers Academy in Milw. So great. I spoke to the kids about the gift of Jesus and how it's so much more of a story than the baby in the manger. It was sweet of some of the kids to remember me. Just another reminder how when I am supposed to be doing the giving---I always get much more back in return.

The week is going to fly by---there's a lot planned and needing to be done (Christmas shopping included in that!) Marlon and I might get out there tonight and do a little of our shopping.

Please remember the reason for this season. Pastor Stuart Briscoe has been doing an amazing and challenging series this month on The Reason for the Season. You can check it out here. http://www.cometothebrook.org/
It's important that we remember the entire story. We live in a fallen sinful world. There is pain and suffering, there are lost and lonely people, we make poor choices for our lives, we fall prey to Satan's lies...all the while there is this Savior---He comes with the truth, those who know and follow Him know the freedom of the truth. The miracle of it all is that in the midst of knowing Him and striving to live like Him---the merciless find mercy, the unkind learn to be kind, the selfish learn to think of others, those that don't believe-do. I need nothing of this world to satisfy me. I need nothing of this world to give me value. I need nothing of this world to sustain me. In all things, at all times, the love and sacrifice of His life covers me and I live in that freedom.

The challenge isn't to just say these things. The challenge is to live them out when I am surrounded by the mentality and state of our communities. When a "keeping up with the Jones'" thought process is seen as okay. When more stuff seems to be a key to happiness. When people live with their heads in the clouds of what is happening to the world around them. When Christian famililes get lost in what is important and allow themselves to be sucked into the lies of this world (and I speak from experience here) I do not leave myself out of these challenges. If it feels like I may be speaking to you, know that I am also speaking to myself.

My good friend Amy started doing some prayers and praises on her blog awhile back. I really thought the idea was a good one and so I'm gonna copy that with some prayers and praises on my own. Thanks Amy!

~please pray for the Teen MOPS Christmas event. Pray that the last details fall into place and that many of the young moms are able to come. Pray they feel loved and safe--even if for the night.
~continue to pray please for my Grandma and her health
~pray that I continue to refocus my eyes upward and not be distracted by this world.
~praise that God is faithful beyond what we could imagine!
~praise that Elijah was able to switch basketball teams
~praise that i have off from Dec. 21 through Jan. 2 ---this will be a major time of rest, reflection and also some fun family stuff planned.

God is good. All the time.

No comments: