Thursday, April 3, 2008

Last night our 5th kid was over. He's that big Baby Huey in the back :) This is a kid with a big heart. This is a kid who has not had the easiest life. This is a kid who for whatever reason...let's girls get away with MURDER!! He is 18 years old and I told him he's lucky he was, because his girl was getting so jazzy with him on the phone I almost snatched it out of his hand and hung it up! lol. We had a really good talk once he got off. I reminded him that he's a nice looking young man, he has a job (actually two), he's very sweet and accommodating, he's kind of shy around girls (even though he acts like he isn't)....he is prime material for someone to run all over. I used myself as an example because it's how I used to treat men/boys. I was all about getting my way and getting them to do what I wanted. It made me feel good and was funny to me when I would treat them like dirt and they'd still keep running back. I used to joke and tease with my friends about the control that I had over them. I was too immature to understand how short I was selling myself, how disrespectful that was and they were too whipped to realize how I was affecting their manhood. It's one thing to make a decision to compromise or give in...it's another to do it because you're afraid of what will happen if you don't or you're afraid that she'll leave you if you don't.
I wanted him to understand this and I ended up talking with the other boys about this to...that being a strong man, not letting a woman manipulate you, not allowing yourself to run after a girl is a good thing. You command respect when your word means something. Will there be bossy, whiny girls who don't like this and will leave you? Definitely. Will you be left with an emotionally healthy, classy woman who doesn't try to run you and is confident enough to have a strong man on her side? Definitely. I want my boys, all of them, to grow up being secure in who they are, not chasing after a girl, not bending over backwards so that she is always happy-she is always getting her way, not giving in when it's not the right thing to do. Don't get it twisted, I'm not saying them I want them to be bullies or chauvinist pigs...they need to have respect for women and treat them with care, but they can't care more about them than they do themselves.
Anyway....this brings me to a whole long conversation I had with my friend Brandon and some other friends from work the other day...but Jordyn and I are about to head around the river for our walk...so that will have to wait!!

Peace out :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Glad you were able to spend time with him and that all the junk that has happened hasn't affected that. That's a good thing :)