Monday, June 23, 2008

Bullet points and a few laughs..

So yesterday I shared the special things that God taught me this past weekend. Today I thought I'd share a few other highlights that happened this past weekend, as well as the funny trip home I had.


  • Upon arrival I had plenty of time to stop at my hotel, check in, freshen up and get to the Embassy for the opening session. Big thumbs up for being able to brush my teeth and put on some deodorant. I believe the ladies at my table would agree.
    Lyndsay Kane's worship was truly spirit led. It was so beautiful to hear all of the women lifting their voices. Unwritten? What song out there is more appropriate for She Speaks?
  • I actually got a decent amount of exercise in!! Yay for 24 hour fitness rooms!!
  • I found out that there are a decent amount of odd bloggy ladies out there. So I am not the only cornball in the world.
  • My evaluation group was wonderful. Such a warm, fun group of women. Can't wait to see how God is going to use each of them. It was a sheer privilege to meet them and hear a little bit of their story.
  • My evaluation went very well. Beyond what I could imagine. God is so faithful. Like, duh, I knew that...but I love it He is kind enough to remind me. I truly feel that I am called to help women discover who they are in Christ and how to follow His leading even in the muck of life. Now I just need to be obedient to His plan and timing and listen.
  • My driver Tony and I had such amazing conversations back and forth between the two hotels and to and from the airport. It was so relaxing to know that I did not have to worry about safety, cabs, etc. I thank God for providing a Christian man who was nothing less than a true Southern gentleman.
  • I learned so much from each session. Not one seemed redundant or boring. While some of the topics I might have heard before, each was presented in such a fresh way that I couldn't take notes quickly enough.
  • I still lost 4 lb. for the weigh-in!!

Now the trip home. People, let me tell u.

My flight home was at 3:17, however, with the conference ending at noon I just had Tony take me straight to the airport. So as I am sitting to relax with my book at the Continental gate, I realize that there are a lot of scurrying employees hovering around the computer screen, glancing nervously at all of us. This I know is not good. Then comes the announcement that due to storming, Newark flights are all delayed. Ok. Don't panic. Weather changes. At 12:50 they decide to load the 12 flight in case they can get clearance. At 1:55 they decide to load the 1:30 flight for the same reason. At 2:25 they make the announcement that they are brining those flights back in because Newark is now delayed indefinately and if we are going to Newark--we are now going there the next day.

Only, and I repeat only, because of the spirit in me and the prayers I had numerous family and friends praying for me, I was able to calmly approach the desk and ask if there was any other way that I could get to Milwaukee. The woman helping me, "J" looked so tired and burnt out. Me-relate. So I made some small talk, told her that she was doing a great job, asked her when her next break was and apologized in advance on behalf of all of the rude, crabby, creeps that were going to grace her desk in the next few hours. "J" said thanks, but still seemed a little skeptical about why I was being so kind. The printers jammed, the computer froze, she was interrupted about 15 times by people asking questions who apparently didn't realize that my invisible potion had wore off and I was actually standing there...and I just kept smiling, joking and trying to make her laugh. I asked her if she ever felt like we (the rude, crabby creeps) believed the airline staff met for secret rain dances to foil our flight plans? This finally, got her to laugh. From that point on, as she helped me we made small talk and joked. She was able to get me on a flight on Delta to Milwaukee via Cincinnati. "J" thanked me for being patient and kind and I told her it was no problem and that I would pray for her. She looked a little startled by that comment, but said thanks.

I now had another three hours to waste because my new flight wasn't leaving until 6:40. So I headed over to the gate to see who else I could chat with. That's where I met "M". "M" suffers from a panic disorder, depression and is afraid of the city. We talked for about an hour as she waited for her flight. We talked about family, moving, boyfriends (hers is possessive and verbally abusive) and why she doesn't leave Vegas and move back home with her family in North Carolina. "M" cried at least twice during our conversation and I think my arm went numb at least twice while rubbing her back as we talked. When they called for her flight to board, she thanked me for talking with her and said in a joking way, "Guess somebody likes me up there" I told her, "Yep, God does!" I gave her a big hug and told her that I would pray for her to find her way in deciding what to do.

Finally, I spread out on the floor at the gate and did some reading, wrote Marlon a love letter, took a little nap and snapped some pictures (hence the shoes and glasses on the previous post) At 6:35 the plane we would board finally landed. At 6:45 the passengers were finally off. At 6:55 we were finally able to board. Many of us were a little nervous because of our connecting flights, but what could we do at this point. After about an hour in the air we were told that our flight would land at C14 at about 8:35pm. My flight to Milwaukee was leaving from C67 at 8:50. This would be interesting. As we were getting ready to land I sat praying and praying and suddenly the woman next to me said, "Hey look, a rainbow." I just knew I was going to make it home Sunday night.

A man with internet connection was looking up flights for people. Many were relieved that their connecting flights were also delayed and they wouldn't need to run. Milwaukee was not delayed. Several people around me said, "Oh, sorry. I hope you get home tonight." I told them I would. I had faith that God was going to make it happen. As we got off, we had to wait for our carry ons to be brought around from under the plane (just an indication of how small the plane we were on was) I rocked and prayed as I stood there. As they brought the cart around the wing, I grabbed my bag and took off running.

Now I know why I've needed to lose 35 lbs. It is not to win the money. It was so I could run like O.J. through the Cinncinnati airport on June 22nd, 2008. :) I have not ran that fast since I was in high school track. In fact, I believe they are sending a medal to my home soon. I do apologize to the elderly couple I scared, the small child I almost took out and the man's foot I might have grazed with my bag. As I rounded the corner by gate 39, the airport opened into another waiting area. I could see another check point for gates 40-70. As I approached the desk with my flight number, I saw that the Milwaukee flight said closed next to it. I did not hesitate. I had my ticket out and with what little breath I had, managed to gasp, "Please tell me that Milwaukee is still on the ground. Please." The woman, "D" behind the counter looked ackwardly around. "I don't think so. We made the last call." It is now 8:56. I know I am making this plane. I do not cry. I do not rant. Or rave. "Please. If there's any way at all. Please check. I really, really need to get home tonight. It's been such a long day. I know it has for everyone, but please." As I am saying this "D" is on the phone whispering and not making eye contact with me. This is normally not a good sign, but I remained hopeful. As she hung up, she smiled at me and said, "Okay. They're holding it, but you have to hurry." C'mon "D", didn't you see me running like greased lightening to your counter? I got this. So as she lets me through I finish my race from gates 40 to 70. But Mindy, you were leaving out of 67!! Yes. I know this. But in my dynamic speed, I ran past 67 and had to backtrack three gates!!!!

As I ran up the stairs to the plane, handed off my bag and gave my ticket to the flight attendant I have never beamed such a big smile. Although it took me half of the flight to catch my breathe...lol...I made it. God orchestrated my day of travel perfectly. So many things about Sunday would not have happened if the day had not played out exactly that way. And I actually ended up getting home 15 minutes before I would have if I had remained on Continental with no flight interruptions.

Why do we fret and worry so

Why do we forget, refuse to let go

Our anxiety and panic build inside

As we hold on tight and try to hide

To the things He promises

That He will take

If we only let go and

allow Him to work

There is nothing that is coincidence

There is nothing that is unplanned

There is nothing about our day

Where He isn't in command.

The sooner we stop running

and just learn to rely on Him

Is the sooner we experience the

Freedom that comes

From letting His spirit in.

Blessings on your day today!!

Mindy <><

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
So glad for your traveling mercies. My 8pm arrival home ended up being 2 am but like you I extended grace grace grace to the airlines. Nothing was going to zap the joy I had taken away from that wonderful conference.

It was so nice getting to know you in Speaker Evaluation. I'm just a click away if I can ever pray or encourage you in any way.

Luanne

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
What a wonderful story! That will surely show up in a "message" somewhere! I hope you wrote down all the details...lol! I am so glad you made it home safe and sound! Yes, my friend, God is soooo Good!

Starr LaPradd said...

Gosh, Mindy. I would have DIED in that situation. I am more like the girl you met with panic disorder (except without the abusive boyfriend). Sounds like God used you in lots of people's lives on your wild trip home. He is good and we can be sure He has our schedules under control.

By the way, our mutual friend Dana has finally gotten up a blog of her own. It is:
http://www.danamelton.blogspot.com
Stop by and give her a little encouragement.
Blessings,
Starr

Marybeth Whalen said...

I loved this post-- thanks for reminding us all that ministry is just as important in the airport as it is at a conference.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

So I headed over to the gate to see who else I could chat with.

Mindy, I just LOVED your words that I pasted above. You are so like me! My husband told me that the words I spoke to him before I left for my trip are words I would never hear come out of his lips during his lifetime..."I sure hope I sit by someone I can talk to on the plane."

I'm sad that our paths didn't cross. Well, there's always next year!

Love, Joanne