Friday, December 29, 2006

New Year's

So as I've said, Sunday I am going to John Burke by myself (Marlon and the boys will be at the Globetrotter game) I had so much fun speaking in Oct. when I went while Marlon was in Africa--so I am really looking forward to it, but am not sure yet what to speak about. There are so many topics that you really just can't take to women in prison because they aren't relevant or meaningful to them--like parenting, busy lives, juggling scheduling, marriage things...topics that I normally can speak about at great length...lol! So this morning of course it's heavy on my mind because it's only two days away. I decide to speak about negative patterns/self-criticism we as women sometimes fall into and what the bible says is true. So I am glad to have that done and be able to move onto the next thing--actually studying/prepping for it.

I actually got some more scrapbooking done yesterday. My mentee Jackie wasn't able to come by so we'll have to get her gifts a different day--what that did though was allow me to do a little cleaning and get about 4 pages of Jordyn's book done. I have actually hit year 2! Only 13 more to go!! lol... There will be some years that are smaller-depending on if I was in a "picture" stage or not...plus a couple of years ago when our computer crashed we lost a TON of digital pictures so there will be very, very few from that time period. I may just decide to switch this whole thing up and make ABC scrapbooks---so much easier than chronological---we'll see.

I should be in the shower getting ready to head into Milwaukee---but of course I am procrastinating. Actually between Jordyn and Israel, this is the first chance I've had at the computer today! Who knew MySpace and Disney games had such priority in life? If we leave by 2 that should be fine.

I am very excited for Jan. 17th. For Jordyn's "big" gift, Marlon and I got she and I tickets to Wicked in Chicago. We are going to take the train down and have lunch and then see the show at 2pm. It is going to be such a fun girl day!! Our friends saw it on Christmas Eve and said it was awesome--since Jordyn and I are musical junkies I know it will be! That is one thing I know she got from me...my love of musical theatre and the arts. Sometimes I miss not being a part of drama any more (well--other than the drama that is my life...lol) With a minor in dance and muscial theatre--well technically 2 credits away from a minor in musical theatre--it was such a part of my life. I'd like to get more involved--most likely at church during the coming year. That got me thinking about my thoughts last year at this time-so I looked on my old post and found this:

As for me, I usually don't do "resolutions" because there is so
much normally that I need to work on, but I do tryto recommit
myself to things with a new start. I am going to read more...make a concerted effort to read. I love to read and used to read frequently, but I let that slip so easily with busy schedules. We have an office full of books I have not yet read and I need to devote daily to the bible and give it the reverence that it deserves. I also am going to allow myself the privelege of taking time to slow down and relax. I am trusting God to handle stripping away the things that I don'tneed to be concerned with...He has been so faithful with that already. I know that when I am closer to Him...everything is that much better!
So have I stuck to that? Not totally I must confess. I have started to read the bible much more regularly, but other than a morning devotion, I still don't open my bible daily. I might come across scripture daily, but that really isn't the same as opening my bible and studying the word. I know this. As for taking time to slow down and relax--I definately have gotten good at that. I think our Jubilee at Elmbrook helped me in that regard. I have allowed Him to strip away those parts of my life--activities that I'm involved in that aren't of Him. I think it's so easy and even a little dangerous to---especially when it's church---get over involved in activities. Especially when they are things you are "good" at or where people are telling how much you are needed. On the flip side however, I think that it is also easy to use your own life and "busyness" as a cop-out and reason why you CAN'T be more invovled. It's a thin line to walk. Because I know that there are other things I am feeling drawn to in ministry--I am pulling myself from leading worship on Sunday mornings and coordinating the worship music for Kid Zone. I will be leaving in May when the school year ends. This frees up much time and energy on Sundays. It's both exciting and scary.
Anyway--posted much longer than I wanted to...lol...now I really have to get in that shower!!
Later :)

No comments: