Monday, November 26, 2007

It's here!!

Christmas season is officially here! :) I love this time of year as I've said before, but now that Thanksgiving has passed I can celebrate it, sing carols and put up decorations without my husband thinking I'm crazy...lol!! Saturday was another low key day and I almost contemplated getting the decorations out, but I was so enjoying just being lazy and hanging out with Marlon and the boys that I didn't even have the energy. It was nice to just sit and relax. Isaiah did have a basketball game and it was so fun for the boys because two of the staff from Camp Vertical last year came to the game and then took the boys out for ice cream afterwards. Ellie is a total sports girl and so they of course think she's awesome--plus she is just hilarious. Ilisa is a hoot too and Isaiah thinks she is just beautiful...so of course he was grinning from ear to ear and blushing all day. That I think is one of the best after effects from Camp---meeting such great, positive young people. It's so easy in our society to always focus on sex crazed, drinking, partying young college students and think that is all they are in their late teens and young 20s...these two young ladies are great reminders that there is more than that out there.
Sunday my cousin and her husband had their son Tomas dedicated. Such a sweet ceremony. It was exciting for me to see some of my family there and his as well. There is strong catholic tradition in my family---even though there is not true relationship with Christ or even connection to a church---that baptism is often seen as what you need to do for your child to go to heaven. This is such a misconception. The bible is clear that baptism is not a necessary to have salvation and does not state that this is necessary at birth or infancy...to the contrary--when it's talked about the individuals are grown. Anyway.....back to what I was saying.....it was great for some of my family to see that it wasn't any strange cult experience.
Today I am excited because I see joy in my husband's eyes for the first time in a longgggggggggg time. While's he's been coming out of his funk for the last few months...today was the first time that he has some pep in his step and joy in his eyes. We had a great talk last night on the way home from prison, he had a great talk with his mentor and friend, Doug and has made some concrete decisions regarding school/ministry/travel for 2008 so that's good. By Jan 2009 he plans to be DONE with school. This will take focus, committment and attention to schoolwork as a job---not something that is fit into the schedule but truly a part of his work day. We know it is a necessary step that he must complete for him to move onto the next steps that God has planned for us. It is not enough for him to want to finish school. As a family we need to give it the importance it deserves and help him, allow him to stay on task. As a wife I must encourage rather than discourage, build up rather than tear down, believe in rather than doubt. He's practical and I'm spiritual. That's how we are and Doug told him this morning, that it sounds like we're a great match for each other to balance each other out. :) I agree.

No comments: