Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A little of this and that.......

So I haven't really had a chance yet to share the amazing day we had on Sat. So I'll do that now.

As part of Harvest Fest at Elmbrook, the "Kids Fest" always chooses a ministry to sponsor and gather donations for. This year, a great local mission was chosen, John Ross Ministries. If you've never heard of it, it's run by Maurice and Deborah Ross. This "church on wheels" goes to area parks, churches and parking lots and offers everything from food to testimonies to necessities to evenagelizing. We were going to assist with their Thanksgiving Outreach, that was going to be held in conjunction with World Outreach Center. After discussion, the Kids Fest team decided to not just support by sending donations, but also open up invitation to Elmbrook families to come and partner with JR Ministries and World Outreach Center on the day of the event. Wonderfully, 15 families stepped forward to help. I must say that I was a little worried that nobody would see value in this. There is that fear of Milwaukee, there is fear of being with a lot of black people. Let's not mince words here. (Like I ever do that...lol) So it was refreshing and promising to see families step out of their comfort zone to do something totally new. Children's Ministry has not done something like this before. The gathering of donations for places in Milwaukee-yes. The driving together to deliver the items-yes. But the joining together with the body of Christ to reach people for Christ-no. I was so excited.
Due to a basketball tournament, only Izzy was able to come with me...but we had an amazing time. It really recharged me and reinforced how much I miss the city. I miss messy ministry where everything is not so poised and polished. I miss the energy that comes from different folks with different points of view and different stories to tell. It really was wonderful and I hated to leave.
I see more and more how bridges are needed to join together groups that I love so. I love the friends and much of what I've experienced here at Elmbrook. But what I don't see is a lot of partnering with ministries in the city. We are all the body of Christ. It's mine and Marlon's heart cry that there would be no color boundaries in worshipping Christ. (now I'm not talkin' about music here---ALL aspects of worship) That we could unite in bringing the gospel to those who need it and all see our place in that.
A little off topic...My friend made a great point that poor does not mean sin. Without coming right out and saying that...I think that's what many people think. Like those living in desperate financial situations are there simply because of their own sin. While this can be the case at times...there are also many, many other reasons that people are poor. And it doesn't matter ANYWAY. Think of the revival and redemption that can occur when someone is extended love, acceptance and the mercy of Christ. When someone understands for the first time that their circumstance is only temporary and that eternal life in Christ is waiting for them...oh how joyous that is!

ok---lol---back to Sat. Anyway, there's great commentary on this event on a new missions blog that has been started, The Borderless Journey. If you've ever been interested in what missions is, why people care so much about it, how you might fit into it...check it out!!

On a 2nd note, please pray for my Grandma. During a CT scan of her chest area (where they found a small tear in her esophagous) they also discovered a mass on her kidney. She is having an MRA done today so they can figure out what's up. She's already digging her feet in that if they say she needs surgery she is not going to have it. Ay yi yi--that woman. So pray that whatever they find---she is open to accept help. He is God of all---even her kidney and no request is too large for Him.

Anway---have a good day!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so happy you got the chance to get back into the city for worhsip. I know that is where your heart is. What an amazing day you had :)

I will pray for your Grandma. Funny my Dad said the same thing...I'm not having any surgery...God is watching over all of them and laying his healing hands on them.

We need to touch base about the Christmas party...it's coming up so soon!

Enjoy the rest of your day...sending lots of hugs your way :)