Monday, September 25, 2006

Fun Day

Yesterday was really a fun day. Because of Jubilee Sunday at our church, there was no Sunday School to go to. What a wonderful time to all sleep in a little bit which we don't very often do. A couple of errands in the morning and then Isaiah had his game at noon. They played well, but lost 2-1. It was a great game and it's always exciting when it's neck and neck right down to the last minutes. He is starting to see what he does well AND what he needs to work on to improve. We always try to process with him after the games so that a loss doesn't weigh on him the whole day.

Then we did lunch with my family. My parents, my aunt, my sister and her 2 daughters...as well as the 6 of us! What a group! We went to Golden Corral where we haven't been in ages. Their steak is very good and it's always nice to hang out with everyone--even if it gets a little chaotic with our big group!

In the evening Marlon and I went to John Burke Correctional. We weren't able to go last month because of Marlon's surgery so it was very nice to be back. The worship was so powerful and heartfelt. I love leading worship, but I love it best when each one in the room is truly worshipping with full abandon. Not worried about what's coming next, not focusing on the person next to them who doesn't sing very well, not worried about hitting all of the right notes...you can truly feel the Spirit surround you. The ladies were eager for the word and had a lot to chat about afterwards. One woman who I've been speaking with each month when we go, will now be moving to half way house before being released in a couple of months. She has made great strides in forgiveness and standing on the truth of the Word. She is working with her social worker to find a church home near the halfway house and asks for prayer to stay focused on God and surround herself with strong Christians who can help hold her accountable. She sometimes feels like because she is in prison her walk is different than someone who isn't. I told her while her day to day life may look different because she is in prison...we all struggle with different things at different times and having other Christians to help hold us accountalbe is a good thing. Nobody is perfect and nobody has a perfect life. I remember before I became a Christian I knew Christians who made me feel like you had to lead a perfect life in order to really be a "true" Christian. Only after becoming a Christian did I realize that the only perfect person to walk the earth gave His life for each of us. While I do have a responsiblity to follow His path and allow Him to direct me, I can't try to be perfect because it will never happen. I shared this with her and it seemed to calm some of her fears. It was such a God thing too because in Marlon's sermon he spoke about Matthew 6:34, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." What God desires most from us is our obedience. In being obedient to the Word we will show our love, our adoration, our desire to be like Him.

Sorry got off to a tangent there...lol. Anyway, it was a fun day!

No comments: