Monday, September 25, 2006

Give me a break...

That is totally what I was thinking in my head when my Old Testament teacher started teaching class tonight. I just wasn't there. With Marlon leaving so soon, worries about my friend's pregnancy, a lot on my plate at work...I was wondering why I hadn't stayed home! So I just prayed. And instantly I felt revived, felt ready to listen and focus on what Samir was saying. I tell you, that man is brilliant! If you ever have opportunity to take one of his classes I would encourage anyone to do so. Doesn't even matter if you plan on getting a degree or just want to have better knowledge of the bible--what you will learn is amazing!

So after class on the way home I was thanking God for answering my prayer and I thought of a sermon Marlon gave on prayer a few years ago. In October, I will visit John Burke Correctional on my own which means I will not only lead worship, I will also give the sermon...and I think I am going to tweak the talk on prayer. Tweak because some things will be the same==like the 4 answers to prayer, but the in between will be different. I think the first thing I learned about prayer that I had not known before I was a Christian was that God won't answer your prayer if it is not within His will. For example, there were times before I was a Christian that if someone hurt me intentionally I would pray that they would get hurt or feel what I felt. God isn't going to answer that prayer. God wants us to be at peace and doesn't punish others because I fancy Him to. Another thing about prayer is that sometimes the answer isn't what we think it should be. At those times it's easy to fall into a trap of thinking that God doesn't hear you or that maybe He doesn't know best. He sees the big picture, we often only see our small area. For those of you who might not know Christ it may sound a little wacky...but if you do then you know what I am talking about. Releasing your life to Him really changes not only your perspective but also takes away some of the worry about whether or not things will be okay. Put all of your faith in Him and follow His lead and you can't go wrong!

Busy day tomorrow. Tuesdays are always a little hectic. Hubby in prison (hehe..that always makes me giggle to see it written down) work of course, then football for one, soccer for another and Tuesday Nite Live at church for me and Izzy. Jordyn gets to stay home to do her AP work and have a little quiet time. Marlon was so sweet to switch his night of work at Norris Adolescent Center from Tuesdays so that he can be the carpool dad and I don't have to miss my bible study. So we all end up getting home between 7:30 and 9:00.

Well, off to switch the laundry (what else is new--with 4 kids is it ever all done!) and then bed. One of these days I'll get in bed before midnight!

No comments: