Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Ahhh technology!

I love technology! It is going to make Marlon's missionary trip not quite so bad. Tonight he called to talk to each of us and then the phone started to break up. We have SKYPE (a phone system on the computer) so he was able to call that way and since we have the nice little web cams...we could even see each other! Way cool! It was nice to see his smile. It was 10pm here and 6am there. He said that his flights went well and he was able to get a little sleep. Then when he got to the Ryder's house they of course sat up and chatted for awhile then went off to bed. He was up at 5:30 (to call us) so that he could talk to all of us before we fell asleep.

Today at work a friend asked me if I thought I would miss him more in regards to being a "single" parent while he is gone or just that my husband is away. It is totally the 2nd. I was a single parent with Jordyn for 5 years so I know that I can handle things and keep busy. I also have such wonderful family/friends helping while he is away that I truly can't even begin to thank them! What I realized after only one day is how much his presence truly impacts me. We normally talk at least once or twice on the phone each day so it was odd at work today not to hear his voice. I also bounce ideas/thoughts/etc. off of him and help process difficult things so that is odd too. I know that some days are going to be harder than others...but what keeps me focused is that I know he is being obedient.

It's also made it easier for the kids to understand why he went to Africa for a month by explaining it as obedience. We've often had conversations with them about how none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes and poor choices. Ultimately, however, if we desire to walk with Christ as the center of our life...we must be about obedience. Is it always easy? Hardly. Especially when it means sending your husband off for a month to Africa! But is it right to do? Always. Is it pleasing to God? Always. The cool thing about obedience is that even when it's tough...in the end you always come away feeling great about it. The kids are so proud that their dad is in Africa preaching the gospel and sharing the truth about Christ. While they miss him of course, they understand the sacrifice that sometimes must be made. I truly believe that this experience is just the beginning of a new stage for our family...I don't know what God has in store for us...but I know that there is something more coming.

Lord, I pray tonight for my friend who recieved devastating news today. I pray for her because she felt like her prayer was answered and then only a few days later things changed. She is feeling doubt and worry. She thought things were going one way and come to find out they are now another. Let her have peace that You are in control of everything and nothing happens that You do not permit. When the answer to prayer comes and it doesn't look like we wanted it to, that can be so hard. Help her find solace in Your word and in friends that can comfort her. Allow this heartache to bring her closer to You and be a stronger witness as a result of this storm.

If you read this Marlon...I love you and am so proud to be your wife!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such the beutiful words and the Love that flows from you and the kids to me. I will continue to pray for you all and for the feeling that time goes fast. I tahnk you for your love and your friendship. those tears were tears of Love. Love you all Marlon