Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The chaos

So it's been a couple of days since I posted and so much has happened. Work has been very interesting which prompted my post earlier today...I had a ton more to say but of course as I sit down to type is normally when like 5 catastrophies seem to break out around here...lol. I should know that I just need to wait until the kiddies are in bed!

Working at a church has been very eye opening for me. I certainly have never had rose painted lenses in regards to Christians...but I thought that in a work environment there might be a facade of holier than thou attitudes. So far from the truth! I certainly don't see the unethical and questionable behavior like I did in social work...but there are definately people who don't seem willing to look at the big picture. My friend Roberta tells me that I am a very diplomatic person and I guess to some extent that's true. It's my nature to try and see the whole story and even temper my responses for the most part-if it will foster improved communication. I also try not to let personality conflicts bother me too much because we are not all going to like each other or get along. What I think works great is when two people who are very different or who don't see eye to eye on a topic---find a middle ground to work from and then grow from there. It's okay that everyone is not your friend. It's okay that not everyone is smitten with each other. It's also okay to be disappointed in other's behaviors. It is not okay to hold a grudge and carry that with you on a daily basis. It's also not okay to try and make someone feel like they are totally responsible for a situation.
What I do find with some people I work with is that they just want everyone to get along. That ain't gonna happen sista! Other's are so convinced that they are justified in their feelings that they have stopped looking at the whole situation and choose only to react based on their feelings about it. Feelings are usually the worst thing to use to handle issues. Our feelings are distorted, our feelings are screwed up and our feelings are fleeting. If someone doesn't like me that's okay. I wouldn't want everyone to like me--if they did it would probably mean that I was so busy being a chamelion that I hadn't created my own identity. I can think of 3 different situations at work where some of the people involved just aren't trying to see things from the other's perspective. They will act like they are and then add a big BUT to the sentence and then negate everything they just said. Seeing things from someone else's perspective does not mean that you are agreeing with them. It does not mean that you're not holding your ground. It just means that you are keeping the lines of communication open in a positive and inviting way.

People are crazy because they want to be understood and express their opinion and have others "hear them out". Often times these same people are not willing to hear the opinions of others. It's a form of selfishness that I find particularly ugly and am working on having grace with those who do this. I have to be kind and patient and exhibit self-control in every situation. Read Galatians 5:22. It's all there.

On another note....Marlon is doing well. We were able to talk on Sat. He sounds good. Boy I miss him. We were teasing each other saying, who knew we loved each other so much!! :) We knew we would miss each other but I really wasn't prepared to miss him THIS much. I am so proud of him and his mission there. I am excited for him to return. It will be fun to go around and talk to different ministry groups about our work in Prison Ministry and Marlon's involvement in this crusade. So many doors are opening and he isn't even back yet! To God be the glory!

No comments: