Friday, October 6, 2006

Update from Marlon

I thought it would be nice to post Marlon's update from Kenya. We spoke today and he is doing very well. He wanted to make sure that he wished the boys well before their games tomorrow (Elijah football and Isaiah soccer tournament) Today was a hard day and I missed him more than the others so far...so good that the weekends are so full and will pass by quickly. Here's his news...


To all
It is evening here in Nairobi, and I have to say that it is great being here. I was able to attend a bible study with Oscar Muriu, the Senior Pastor of Nairobi chapel (Elmbrooker’s would know who he is). What a blessing! We also went to the prison. What a sight!!! I wasn’t able to get any footage inside the prison but I was able to outside and you could see the buildings. We went there to talk to the warden (officer in charge) about Nairobi Chapel being a part of prison ministry. As we talked he was very open with us, and you could tell that he was a Christian. The prison sits on about 5-8 acres. He told us there were 150 men in the prison-most were there for petty theft. They normally would stay there for up to 6 months. Here’s the kicker: all of the inmates live in the same building. The building is about as wide as a two car garage, and as long as about four of them put together. The warden wouldn't allow us to go down to the building, he just let us stand a far. The inmates that were out around the building were dressed in black and white stripes. Not the wide ones that we are used to, but really thin stripes. After looking at the prison from a spot where we could see the whole prison, we went to another spot where the prison would like to build a Premont chapel. The warden said it would cost about 100,000 ($1500 american dollars) At this spot I was able to get an interview with the warden on video and then I paned out and got a view of the building. We then went to get wood and as I sat in the car, I watched the masses walk by and got a lot of shots of the crowd. Again, nobody in shorts.
Here are a few statistic’s that I found out about Kenya. There are 30 million people in this country, 50% (15 million) are 18 years of age or below. 60% of that 15 million have lost one parent to the AIDS epidemic and about another 35% have lost both. You want to see people who know what AIDS is? Well, here they are. I will leave Nairobi on Tuesday for Zambia. Please continue to pray for me and safe travels as well as my family back home.

God's Blessings to you all.

No comments: