Friday, April 6, 2007

I love Easter...

I love Easter...

I love the fact that Jesus laid down His life for me. He knew what sins I would commit, He knew that I would forever be cut off from God---if He didn't, I wouldn't be able to spend the rest of eternity in Heaven. Amazing.

I love that while Good Friday is somber---when we think of the torture and pain He went through....it is also wonderful and joyous because we know the rest of the story. We know that He rose Easter morning!! Hallelujah!!

I love doing the resurrection eggs with my kids. Making sure that amongst the candy and eggs they understand and appreciate the real meaning of Easter. Even if they can' t grasp the magnitude at their ages, they can certainly comprehend that Jesus Christ came to Earth and fulfilled God's plan of absolving us of our sins by dying on a cross and rising again---that full belief in that will allow them to never die. We will die a physical death yes, but our spirit will live on for eternity in Heaven.

Lastly, I love going to my Grandma's house for the egg hunt for the kids. Every year she and my Aunt have a huge platter of candy, dozens of dyed hard-boiled eggs, and one plastic egg for each child with a dollar in it for them. It's so exciting to see the kids get so excited to run out with their plastic bag and search for the eggs. The older, older kids (teenagers) get to hide them and the older kids (like my boys and niece) always have to get the strict talking to---"make sure the little kids get some"---"don't knock anyone over trying to get an egg"---"there's plenty for everyone" lol . It's a rite of passage as they pass from toddler to preschooler and can search on their own without hanging on to mommy's hand. Last year my cousin Tony was able to borrow a bunny costume from this job and wore it over. All of the kids were laughing...actually there were a few tears as well! That probably won't happen this year.

What I do hope happens though---is that we relish in each moment knowing that it will be the last at that house. Who knows what size house my Aunt will purchase and if our traditions like this will continue? There are 69 of us after all (plus one on the way!) not the easiest number for someone to just fit everyone in! :) So while I know that memories and traditions aren't necessarily tied to the house...in some ways they are because without that house...it makes me sad. Circumstance cannot dictate my attitude. Circumstance cannot dictate or change the truth. The truth is that we are a large, kooky, loving family that will persevere because Grandma wouldn't have it any other way.

I love Easter!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Happy Easter! I hope you all enjoy the day together. I was unaware of the thursday lunch date??? Fill me in, please.