Friday, April 13, 2007

Musings...

So as I mentioned yesterday, my head has been swimming with thoughts, ideas and feelings. In no particular order--

Missing the City
Brookfield...well, actually suburban southeastern WI...lacks flavor. It is very nice and there are a lot of friendly people there. I don't want to be misquoted as saying that I do not enjoy the people I know from there or that I do not like the area. But...it lacks urban flavor. Houses...clothing...hairstyles...experiences...for the most part they are cookie cutter. Sweeping generalization I know. Forgive me, it's where my head is at right now. Leaving my car unlocked in the parking lot? No worry of being jumped on the way to my car? Not stepping over drug addicts waiting for their methodone on my way into the office? It seems odd. Boy do I miss the city. Even more than the city...I miss ethnic diversity. I miss black people. I miss latin people. I miss the city.

Where to Start
People have needs. Other people have the desire to help and the money, resources, things to help with. How to connect them? What got me on this is a call that came into church the day before yesterday. A pastor on call phone call. A man called because his fridge had died and he was not sure what to do with his stuff. He didn't have any money and someone had said that since Elmbrook was a big church maybe we could help him. Since I was covering reception at the time I couldn't ask questions, couldn't find out the details and had to pass it on to the pastor on call. One of my bosses was the pastor on call that day and I must say he handled it the best he could. He offered advice, some places to contact and gave the guy his name and direct line. Then he called back today. Who bridges the gap? What kills me is that with the size of our church, I know there are probably several fridges sitting in garages or basements that people would love to donate to someone who could use it. Pray for me as I continue to try and figure out how to bridge that gap and the role I play in it.

Friends
Love your friends. Warts and all. But know that there are levels of friendship and that's okay. We've all recieved the e-mails about friends for a reason, friends for a season and friends for life...sometimes those anecdotal stories/poems are corny, but that is one that is really true. The reason friends are necessary. Often times we have a need that they fill. Or we may fill a need in them. I've been in those lost places where a friend came into my life who just had the gift of encouragement and a discerning spirit---and they helped me get back on track. I've been that listener for someone else when they've needed it. When I was in my young 20s and first started working professionally---I had some great older female co-workers who befriended me and I learned so much from. Most time when the need has been met--when the reason for the friendship is gone--the friendship is as well. There is nothing wrong with this.
The season friends are so fun to be with. You might have a lot in common and just enjoy each other's company. As your life changes and shifts those friends do to, but that doesn't mean that the impact they had on your life is any less. These are often your sharing friends, friends that you tell your secrets, friends that you spend a lot of time with...the seasons can be short or long.
Lifetime friends are there for the long haul and you are there for them the same. There is a connection beyond reason or season and you learn so much from them-as they do from you. There are strong emotional and foundation truths that bind you. This friendship does not end because of arguments. This friendship does not end because of hurt. What's painful is when you thought someone was this kind of a friend and they aren't. I've had that happen. What I've had to do when that has happened is really soul search. After doing so, I find that the person was probably a reason or season friend and I tried to fit them into the lifetime friend spot. Lifetime friends usually share your morals, dreams, idealogies---they don't have to---but those are things that often times link you for life.
Sometimes people go through stages of their lives where they don't make good friends. They might be having marital problems, addiction issues, mental health struggles, or maybe they are just selfish and unable to look past themselves. They might lie to protect themselves. Forgive them. They might lash out in anger because they don't want to face the truth. Forgive them. Be a friend to them if you can. But know that they might be a reason or season friend and it is okay for the friendship to be over. Nobody ever said that once you become friends with someone you have to stay that way for life. That's pressure we put on ourselves...I'm still working on this myself, so I am certainly not coming from a place of authority. But my head has been swimming with these thoughts and I had to get them down.

Tomorrow is the first outdoor game for soccer. I'm glad that sun is supposed to be out and shining. Certainly better than the strange weird snow we had this week...lol. Off to fold a load of towels, let the dog out and get some sleep.

Much love!

No comments: