Saturday, July 26, 2008

Just a good day....

Lisa, Jessie & Autumn enjoying our staff dinner for camp.


Sweet Christie, excited to have her first strawberry daquiri (yes, it was non-alcoholic...lol)



Our group :)



Sarah & I



Just thought I'd share a few pictures from our staff dinner last week.


Today was such a nice day. You may remember me blogging about a community cook out we were having at Frame Park this afternoon. Our family (minus Jordyn who was working and hangin' out with her friend) all worked really hard together. We headed to church and loaded up the cargo van with all of the food, games, tent, etc at about 9:45. Then it was off to the park to set up. I got so excited when at 11:30 a couple of people already started showing up! (it didn't start until 1pm) By 12:45 the grills were fired up and a group of about 50 people had showed up. In all, I figure about 300 people came. We served food, had music, sno cones, face painting, kickball, games and crafts for the little ones....many had heard about the picnic from the flyers, Salvation Army, the Women's Center, James Place....but many just stopped by because they heard the music, smelled the food....just as we wanted. So many great conversations...so many smiles...so many people eating their only meal for the day. In fact, some of my 3rd cousins came and I was able to talk to them...meet their kids. At 4 we started packing up and with all that was left---we sent a ton home with many of the attenders. One of the sweetest moments for me was seeing this man I always see around town....a homeless man who is often garbage diving...sitting under a tree with a full plate of food, two sodas, and a huge smile!! I mostly face painted, did games with the little ones and walked around praying and mingling.

I think my favorite part of the day though was later when my friend, Patti and I went for a walk around the river. Jaden came to play with the boys and we got to have a really great talk & get to know each other better. Jaden & Izzy are on the same team and we've become fast friends, but haven't really had a lot of just girl talk time. So that was a fun time. On Tuesday, she, my friend Nina and Keisha (a woman from church who I also know from Heyer school with the kids) are all going to Six Flags. I can't wait!

Content. In every and any situation. Today was a gift and so easy to be content.

No comments: