Monday, January 22, 2007

Random thoughts...

So you Wisconsinites know that it snowed VERY much on Sun. Marlon & I got up & went to Taycheedah & did the morning services, however, because of the snow & how bad it got in Fond du Lac while we were there-we came home in between the morning & afternoon sessions. So much was accomplished in the morning. There had been a mix up in the schedule so the choir had been prepared to worship. I certainly didn't want to take away their thunder so I offered to sit out but they wanted me to lead so we all led together. God was certainly at work--it sounded amazing! It was such fun to all be up there together. We don't normally do the morning service so we got to see ladies we haven't in awhile. Also, the officers were super laid back (plus it was the medium security unit) so they let us mingle and talk a little. One of the ladies we've seen & chatted with the entire time we've gone to Taycheedah (almost 5 years) came up to us & let us know that she'd been praying for us to come & needed to see us. Then she made me cry because she put her hands on our shoulders & said that she needed to tell us that we made such an impact on the ladies there-we would never know-she knew that God was of ultimate importance & she loved Him...but she wanted us to know that her life was better for knowing us. Humbling. I wish those ladies could know what they bring to us. WE are the ones who are better for knowing THEM.
Work is going well. There is a ton on my plate, but it certainly isn't boring...lol. I am excited though because of a new venture there is that I can be part of. I can't remember if I've blogged about the store front that Elmbrook now has. There are so many ministry possibilities--but the key is that it can't become an "Elmbrook" hang out--we want it to be an outreach, offer & provide services to the community. that is definately something I will be a major part of. Perhaps someday even as "job"---prayerfully so.
I spent a few hours with one of my mentees from Teen MOPS-Jackie yesterday. We had such a wonderful talk. Today I spoke with another mentee Felice for about an hour. What those conversations had in common was that they reminded me how significant we can be to others around us. It's so easy to get bogged down with our own stuff, consumed by our schedules, our kids, our "personal" time, our celebrations & not see the hurt, pain, anguish, & loneliness that is around us. I don't say this to make anyone feel guilty...because there are certainly times that we need to recharge & refuel ourselves. But for the most part, as a society, I think we are totally self consumed. Often what we are consumed with is stuff. What our homes look like, what kind of clothes we have, car we drive, neighborhood we live in, places we vacation, gadgets our kids have. Most of us are privileged in a way others can only dream about. There are numerous people in our sphere of life who need us to befriend them, offer hope, share their lives. Don't write them off as just another addict, another teen mom, another drop-out, another "underprivileged" They are a child of God. Jesus said that he would come as we least expect him...the impoverished, the homeless, the undesirable. Are we turning our noses up at him? Are we rolling our eyes at him? Are we judging the way he looks or the poor choices he makes? Just thoughts...not sure why.
Well...time to wake my honey up (he fell asleep on me...lol) & head off to bed. Nite!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I was thinking about you and Marlon on Sunday having to drive so far in it.

I forgot to mention to you that I read an article about someone who is doing a MOPS prison group...I will look for it for you to read.

I am so excited to have you come talk at Teen MOPS Wednesday night! Remind me I need to talk (ask) you about something.

See ya then :)