Friday, January 19, 2007

Where did a week go?

Wow--this week just zoomed by! It's funny because I totally didn't even post that Monday was our 9 yr. anniversary...lol. Marlon and I are going to dinner tonight--so I guess I really didn't even think about it on Monday much. It's amazing the way God has worked in our marriage. Our first few years were VERY hard. We had kids to begin with, I went through some depression, Marlon's faith skyrocketed while mine floundered, we had different goals (at first I was NOT happy about his desire to be in ministry full-time)...every issue, every conflict just became all out wars. Twice I was ready to give up and the 2nd time I think Marlon was too. Sometimes I think Satan uses your doubts and hurt and pain to make you never want to forgive, never want to see the big picture. We were letting that happen. After meeting with a pastor friend of ours (back then he was just Marlon's friend), we started to see things differently. We still had a long way to go but we stopped looking at each other as the enemy. Also, there were a lot of people praying for us. I didn't realize how many until this past fall when we were at Harvest Fest and a couple came up to us that had attended Elmbrook way back in 00' when a lot of our problems were at their height & had served in Children's Ministry with us. They let us know how wonderful it was to see us working together in ministry, how great it was to hear Marlon's testimony and see the love between us because they'd been praying intensely for us during that time. Isn't that amazing? So it's so true that you never know who's praying for you!
Wicked was so wonderful! I have some cute pictures of Jordyn, but for some reason blogspot isn't letting me download them right now. I'll try again later. I found everything just so easily I know it had to be a blessing. I am very directionally challenged. We walked around downtown (as best I could with my hurt heel--still hurt from the Amazing Race-Breakaway...lol) ate at a cute little diner down there, showed her some of the places I used to go when I went to school in downtown Chicago, had Starbucks and then of course saw the show. I love musicals when the set is minimal--just enough to create the scene. The acting was great and the singing as well. Really a good production. It was just fun to hang out with Jordyn for some girl time.
Work is picking up momentum which I like. There are new possibilities in ministry with a storefront center that we are having. I met with the Pastor over it and saw the place this week and my mind started to skyrocket with all of the things that can happen there. He even approached my bosses (with my okay) to see about allocating some hours for development of it, but there aren't any to give away. I'll have to talk to him now after that's happened to see what evening/weekend things might be in store. It led to a great discussion with my boss though--she let me know that they (I have two bosses in Children's ministry actually) have been aware for awhile that my heart is shifting to needing the people contact of ministry---that God is working in me---and they see that I will only be with them for a season. What an open and honest discussion. I have worked in such dysfunctional work environments that it was almost odd to have such an open conversation with a boss! She released me to from feeling like I need to keep it a secret that I'm excited about what this opportunity will lead to. I told her it's all in God's timing, but it's fair to say that when a ministry versus administrative position opens up I will be fine with transitioning to it. I respect them very much and do love my job still--I just know that God has more in store for our family than it. My other boss said it well....especially as we've been learning so much about Jubilee and Sabbath at Elmbrook this year. He said he sees this job as my Sabbath. That I was burnt out and tired from social work and needed spiritual uplifting and development and time to focus on our family and leave my job at work. This position is definately that. When the time is right God will move me back into ministry-social concerns because that is where my heart is and where so many of my gifts lie. It was so nice to hear that he thought that. I'm so grateful for them. So I'll just keep praying for God to make clear my path so that I don't move before he'd have me move.
Well, time to get off to work. Everyone else gets to stay home and I have to go to work :( That's okay--they'll have a good Daddy bonding day!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Happy Anniversary. Sounds like you and Jordyn had a great time. You missed a great game. The boys played out of their minds. Real fun to watch. Now we have a two break. That never seems to be a good thing for us.
Glad you are Marlon were able to work through your differences. Life does lead us down some challenging paths. Some how we find our way back and our love grows stronger every day. I am happy for you and your wonderful family. You are a great parents. Enjoy your weekend.