Monday, March 5, 2007

John 13:5-17

After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?" Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." "No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me." "Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!" Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean. When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

So as I said in my previous blog, on Sat. at the retreat Amy, Dana and Sara washed our feet. Now even to Christians this may just sound odd. Like something you hear about people doing, but have never really known anyone who has done it or been part of it. There was nothing odd about it. What servant hearts they have. Some of us had the same reactions as Simon Peter...once it became clear what was about to happen...I saw several women kind of shake their head, as if not wanting Sara, Amy or Dana to feel obligated to do such a thing. But as it started and they moved around the circle from one to another to powerful message and imagery almost knocked me off of my chair. Although they might be the ones "in charge" they lead us in such a humble way that it never seems that way. The way that they appreciate each volunteer and create such unity between us all--even those of us who can't come every week--it's simply nothing less than how Christ calls us to live.
The important thing about Christ washing his disciples feet is not that he wanted them to have clean feet. Think of your feet after a day outside in sandals. Imagine even a living room of women, many of who had not yet showered for the day...in warm pink sock slippers...and then three sweet, wonderful women dropping to their knees to pray over these feet, take off the slippers and pour water over their feet, dry them and put the slippers back on. Not one denying them this privelege (even tho I am sure in a group that size there were people with feet issues!), not one squirming at having their feet touched, not one servant looking at the feet with disdain. Not one moment of ackwardness. It could be yucky. I am sure it was for Jesus. And having clean feet is not even what he did it for. It's not why Sara, Amy and Dana did either.
To serve humbly, to love fully, to give freely. There is no great gift that a leader can give to his followers. Jesus, who was King and the Son of God, lovingly washed the feet of his followers to show them a divine way of leading and loving mankind. He encourages them to wash each other's feet and to alway keep in mind that they are not above anyone they lead. If only leaders in all areas made this part of their "leadership" style--what a differene it would make.

I am so thankful to be a part of Teen MOPS. It is much like prison ministry in the sense that many outsiders comment on what a sacrifice I make to "give" to these girls/inmates. It is I that recieve the gift from them. There is not a way to describe it. I was talking to my friend (one of the teens) tonight. We talk about 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes just a 5 minute chat. When I hung up I thought about how honored I was to be at her son's birth, how special our friendship has become that she would share with me that she is pregnant again-even before she has told family. Are there times I am tired and don't feel like "dealing" with ministry. Oh my goodness yes. But there are many more when I am fully aware that it is my calling to do what God would have me and not a choice at all. I think it's why whittling away ministries that I'm not called to be a part of is so important. I love people and I love helping...so really any ministry could be fun for me. But I have an obligation to use discernment and wisdom in making choices for myself and where I invest my time. I can't do everything and when I try then many things suffer. Teen MOPS and prison are definately the two areas that I know I am called to do. Being away from Teen MOPS and only being able to go about once a month showed me that. I need the girls as much as they might need me.

Well, time to go and have some dinner. My stomach has finally calmed down and food sound good to me right now. Pray that this illness just finally leaves me so I can be back at 100%!!
Nite!!

No comments: