Sunday, March 4, 2007

Retreat

The past few days have been crazy busy...but what stands out and what was the most refreshing was the leaders retreat I went on with Teen MOPS. Wow. As I left Friday for the lakehouse, this is what it looked like. I actually thought about calling and cancelling, but the thought of a fun "slumber party" with women who I think are so amazing very much outweighed the fear of driving in this yuck! Getting off of the highway was VERY scary because there were no street lights and the wind was blowing so bad that I couldn't really see where the road even was. As I approached the driveway, I saw that there were several other cars all pulled off to the side. Getting out, I saw that they were all other leaders unable to get through a mound of snow that had blown up and was blocking the driveway. Sara and Amy shoveled out a path for us and we all pulled in.

We laughed because it was obvious we all needed a girls night to rejuvenate because if it was any other "obligation" we certainly wouldn't have braved the roads to come out alone!! A yummy dinner of salad, bread and several types of soup waited for us. The house was amazing, we played a fun game (which I won...woohoo!) and then settled in the living room for some teaching. They had brought out an amazing speaker/teacher from Elmbrook who I have heard before at Breakaway and who I led worship with during Discovery Days. Her words were so poignant and meaningful to us. Her encouragement and love so needed. You could feel the sigh of contentment fill the room. As desserts were prepared and the gifts for Dana's shower (a total suprise part of the weekend) brought out, Racheal got in her van to leave as she wasn't staying over. She had to back out of the whole driveway, easily close to a 1/4 mile. Some of us went to help her get started and then 2 stayed to walk behind her with flashlights--guiding her to the end so the rest of us went back in the house. After quite awhile had passed and they still had not returned, Kristin and I went out to check on them. Here they had gotten to the end, but she could not get out onto the street, the snow--the ice--she was just spinning. We dug deep pushed that van right out onto the road. Then as it spun it's wheels some more--we pushed it again onto a safer area...lol. It is funny now thinking of us out there in the blizzard, pushing that big ole van to safety. After circling to pray over Racheal and her drive home, we headed back to the house. Much dessert and presents later...it was jammies time. The thing to know about this beautiful, amazing house (which the family has a 2nd home and opens to missionaries, retreats, church groups, etc) is that it has a large loft on the 3rd floor. We all headed upstairs to play some games. Have you ever played Apples to Apples? It was such fun. I've heard of it, but never knew what it was or how to play. So much fun---it was hysterical. Mine were very easy to start to tell because I always played crazy off the wall matches...lol.




It was so cool that with our whole big group of 14 EVERY person played both games (Taboo was the other) Sometimes with a group of women that large, somebody doesn't want to participate. Such fun to laugh together, share stories, just bond in a way other than Teen MOPS and yet brought together because of it. After game time a few of us stayed awake to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding. A few of the women had not yet seen it so it was fun. After a very restless night ( smoke detector battery decided to die on the night we were all there and kept us up for about an hour while we figured out a way to reach it and disassemble it.) we rose to the smell of fresh coffee and a scrumptious treat I have never had before-monkey bread! Complete with fresh fruit and coffee it was the perfect way to start the day.



The day ended with a bible study, a silly game where we wrote a song about Teen MOPS (our team TOTALLY won :) ....although the other team's song was sweet too), sharing time, worship and then Sara, Amy and Dana praying over each of us while they washed our feet. There is no way to describe it. Jesus was there. You could feel him and there was hardly a dry eye. It was such a simply, yet powerful act of service. These are women who truly love the Lord and desire to follow after His calling. I will blog more about the washing of the feet==when I am rested and focused and can articulate my thoughts better.


Sat. was a busy day, but every thing just seemed easier to handle, smoother because of the peace in my heart.



Going to take a nap. I feel very yucky today :( Isaiah's team is in the 'ship at 4:40, so we have to leave soon so he can get his ankle wrapped and meet the team. I couldn't even make it to church this morning. My head is pounding and I have this yucky sense of nausea that I hope will not lead to full fledged stomach flu. We'll see.

No comments: